Sunday, December 2, 2007

Forgotten Language by Shel Silverstein

Forgotten Language by Shel Silverstein
Once I spoke the language of the flowers,
Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,
Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings,
And shared a conversation with the housefly
in my bed.
Once I heard and answered all the questions
of the crickets,
And joined the crying of each falling dying
flake of snow,
Once I spoke the language of the flowers. . . .
How did it go?
How did it go?

In the poem Forgotten Language by Shel Silverstein, he uses a central metaphor to compares childhood to a forgotten language. He describes the forgotten language as something that he once had but lost. "Once I spoke the language of the flowers..../How did it go?" (10-11).Shel Silverstein writes about how he didn't want to lose this special language but somehow it got away. Childhood is something one doesn't realize is slipping away, until it is gone forever. He uses peaceful thing to compare this language to, like a "flake of snow"(9), and a "catipillar"(2). This gives the poem a feeling of softness,but at the same time a little sadness because the thought of losing these preciouse gifts is somewhat sadning. Once childhood is gone, their is always a want to go back to being a child.

I found this poem interesting because of what its trying to say to the readers. I was always told as a child, "Don't grow up too fast", but all I wanted to do was the opposite. I wanted to do what the older kids were doing. I never thought about what I would be losing. Although the diction if this poem is not negative, or sad, it gives off a vibe of sadness. It shows the realization that once your an adult, you are not a child anymore which seems obvious. But as you grow, the question, "where did my chilhood go?" comes up and one wonders how they came to be an adult so fast.

5 comments:

Kenzie T. said...

Wow I really like the peom. The central metaphore is so strong. I always hers people talk about how they used to speak a language but lost it overtime and it's a really good comparison to childhood. I also thought the peom had a sad but soft tone, but also a little regretful.

Zach Frey said...

Good job i liked how you showed the central metaphor. There also was a nicely done comparison of childhood.
the poem had in my view a depressing tone.

Michelle said...

I think, moreso than a sad commentary on the loss of childhood it's about enjoying the simple things that nature affords us. Silverstein has a great reverence for nature (hence The Giving Tree) and I think this is more a call to action - "Get out there and smell the roses, talk to the flowers, settle your mind for one second and hear nature's stories."

Michelle said...

I think, moreso than a sad commentary on the loss of childhood it's about enjoying the simple things that nature affords us. Silverstein has a great reverence for nature (hence The Giving Tree) and I think this is more a call to action - "Get out there and smell the roses, talk to the flowers, settle your mind for one second and hear nature's stories."

Michelle said...

I think, moreso than a sad commentary on the loss of childhood it's about enjoying the simple things that nature affords us. Silverstein has a great reverence for nature (hence The Giving Tree) and I think this is more a call to action - "Get out there and smell the roses, talk to the flowers, settle your mind for one second and hear nature's stories."